Things to Do When Moving In
Moving into a home is both exhausting and exciting. Below is a helpful moving checklist you can use to ensure you complete all of the necessary tasks during your move.
6-8 Weeks Before Moving:
- Plan your moving transportation (truck rental, hiring movers, friends). Compare different movers before choosing.
- Create a folder to keep a record of everything related to your move (receipts, inventory, etc.). Include any estimates you may have acquired:
- Truck Hire
- Cleaning Services
- Confirm with the agent when you can pick up with keys. This will determine your moving day.
- Research storage facilities if needed.
- Redirect your mail and fill out a Change of Address form at a post office or online.
- Design and plan your space. Try to establish the exact purpose of every room;
- Pack boxes accordingly – you can use a floor plan or sketch.
- Hold a garage sale, donate, sell, or throw out unnecessary items.
- Acquire packing materials:
- Tape/tape gun
- Newspapers/bubble wrap
- Plan and schedule repairs to be done.
- Contact the local council to arrange a rubbish pick up if you are getting rid of a lot of stuff.
2-4 Weeks Before Moving:
- Finalize moving transportation and make necessary arrangements (i.e. helpers).
- Schedule disconnection / connection of utilities at old and new home:
- Discontinue any delivery services, automated payment plans and local memberships (i.e. gym).
- Change your contact details with various service providers (banks, licence , insurance, lawyer, etc.).
- If you have a pet you must change/update its registration with your council.
- Organize contents insurance if you don’t already have any.
- Create an inventory list of items (furniture, boxes etc) to use as a check list on moving day.
- Begin packing non-essential items.
- Label boxes by room and contents (bathroom, kitchen, laundry, etc.).
- Identify valuable items to transfer separately – label as DO NOT MOVE.
- Create an essentials box to keep with you on the day of your move and the first couple of days of moving so you don’t have to search through and open all of the boxes.
- Store valuable items like jewellery and legal documents at the bank / or in a safe place while moving.
- Confirm the time of settlement with your Lawyer/Conveyancer if buying.
- Contact a cleaning service, if you are using one, to ensure they are available on moving day.
- Arrange time off work if possible for moving day.
Additional tips if you are renting:
- Formally notify your landlord or property manager of the date you’re vacating the premises.
- When moving out of a rental property, you may need to steam clean your carpet, and ensure the property is returned in a satisfactory state.
- Arrange for a property inspection to recoup the bond.
1-4 Days Before Moving:
- Make a schedule or action plan for the day of the move.
- Plan when/how to pick up the truck (if rented).
- Defrost the freezer and clean the fridge.
- Drain fuel from lawn mowers and discard any hazardous or flammable substances which could prove dangerous during the moving process.
- Make sure essential tools are handy (screwdrivers, tape, padlock if renting a truck, vacuum cleaner, etc.).
- Pack a bag for water bottles, pen/paper, snacks, documents, and essentials.
- Set aside boxes/items that you have decided to move yourself.
At your old home:
- Remove bedding and disassemble beds – be sure to pack bedding in your essential items box.
- Check off all furniture and boxes against your inventory list as they go into the moving truck.
- Complete one last check of the old property to ensure nothing was left behind ( i.e.) look behind doors and in cupboards, etc.
- Leave your contact information for new residents to forward mail.
- Make sure the movers have the correct new address and you have their mobile number to contact them if there is a confusion.
- Carry all important items with you (passports, cash, other important documents, etc.).
- Lock the windows, doors and turn off the lights.
- Return keys if applicable.
At your new home:
- Verify utilities are working:
- Heating & Cooling
- Clean the kitchen and vacuum as needed (especially where furniture will be going).
- Assemble beds and make up beds as soon as possible.
- Begin unpacking – start with the kitchen and bathroom and other essentials
Change of Address Checklist
Use the following checklist to help you keep track of who you have provided your new details to.
|Financial||Company Name||Account Number||Reference Number||Contact Number||Done|
|Rental / Hire Purchase|
|Employer - Payroll|
|Services||Company Name||Account Number||Reference Number||Contact Number||Done|
|Telephone Land Line|
|Post Office - Redirection|
|Health||Company Name||Account Number||Reference Number||Contact Number||Done|
|Private Health Insurance|
|Other||Company Name||Account Number||Reference Number||Contact Number||Done|
|School / University|
|Pet Registration - Council|
14. Moving Checklist